Queen’s College, High Street, Oxford
A watercolour measuring 6½” x 8¾”. Signed G. Pyne and dated 1870.
About the Artist
George Pyne (1800-1884), elder son of W.H. Pyne and son-in-law of John Varley, was a landscape, architectural and genre painter mostly in watercolour. His speciality was drawing Oxford colleges and, to a lesser extent, Cambridge and Eton. He is particularly renowned for his handling of the texture of old stone buildings. He exhibited in 1827-43, including at the Society of British Artists, Suffolk Street (2) and the Old Watercolour Society (39).
Queen’s College, University College and St Mary’s Church, High Street, Oxford. The front of Queen’s College with its domed centrepiece and tall pedimented wings is one of the most dramatic elements of the Oxford townscape. The rusticated screen wall and gateway (right forefront) were built in 1733-6. Above the gateway is a cupola which shelters a statue of Queen Caroline by Henry Cheere. University College (on the left) was rebuilt in 1634-56 and has distinctive crenellations.
Please select the image to see a larger version