Hampton Court Palace
A pen and ink drawing measuring 7” x 10”. Signed J. Fulleylove. Inscribed under mount: ‘Hampton Court Palace. Please return to John Fulleylove, 1 Langham Chambers, Portland Place, [London] W.’
About the Artist
John Fulleylove (1847-1908) was born in Leicester. He studied as an architect before becoming an architectural and landscape artist. He was brother-in-law to the garden painter George Elgood (1851-1943). In 1879 Fulleylove became a full member of the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour. He was elected a member of the Royal Institute of Oil Painters in 1883 and its Vice President in 1906. He travelled widely in Europe and the Middle East and exhibited extensively, including at the Royal Academy (10), the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolour (133), and the Fine Art Society (407). Works exhibited include Greek Views in 1896 and Views of the Holy Land in 1902. Examples of his work appear in a number of collections including the V&A Museum in London, the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford and the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge.
Hampton Court Palace. This is a view of the palace and gardens from the east. In the background is the stately Baroque façade designed by Sir Christopher Wren in the 17th century. The statue of the Three Graces in the forefront is shown in its original capacity as a fountain; it has since been removed to the gardens. The statue is an early 19th century copy of the memorial to Henry II of France, now in the Louvre.